Jeff Jarvis points us to the story of laid-off journalist Greg Hernandez. Within a week after this layoff as a Hollywood Writer for the LA Daily News, he took his entertainment writing to a new blog and is directly competing with his former employer.
Note well, other formerly employed journalists, that you don’t need friends in high places in the internet to build your own blog. You can go to WordPress or Typepad or Blogger and start writing and Google or GoDaddy to take your domain. My only advice is to specialize: take on a beat that isn’t being overcovered, do a lot of linking, rise up in Googlejuice, and make the turf your own.
Within seven days, Greg reinvented himself. That’s pretty cool.
- Advice From Wired To Google
- PC Magazines List Of Great Blogs
- From Step One, Here’s What We’re Doing
- Headlines and Titles–Writing for Reader AND Search Engines
- Go Ahead and TRY to Break It