From SND Update, a list of predictions about what will happen in news design this year.
There are tons of predictions but I pulled this one.
Former deputy managing editor, USA Today, and SND founder
Challenges in 2009 (and beyond):
- How to serve readers with indispensable journalism that is rigorous, vital and sufficiently profitable.
- Developing a sustainable business strategy.
- Layoffs, consolidations, mergers.
- Newspapers going out of business.
- Burned out, overworked and demoralized newsroom staffs.
- Staying optimistic, not surrendering, looking for a clue.
- Giving HOPE to staffers every moment of every day.
This is probably more pessimistic than I really feel. Newspaper companies have absolutely huge obstacles in front of them. The ones still standing this time next year will be true innovators. Should be an exciting and — need I say this? — a very challenging year. Good thing to remember as we face these challenges: What we’ve been doing ain’t working all that well.
Just to add, not all of them are this pessimistic. 🙂
- Buried In A Sea Of E-mails
- Rheta Grimsley Johnson Talks Newspapers
- Newspapers Will Get Rescued?
- Twitter Raises Some Money
- Becoming The News